Friday, January 16, 2009

emmasen 143


14Jan09

- Once upon a time, during Chinese New Year, among many of the sweets that mother had bought was a white, round, 'menthol-ish' sweet (the hokkien dialect refers to 'menthol-ish' as 'hiam hiam') and it has an embossed side-profile of a 'queen-ish' looking woman. It came in a rolled tubular form.

- Then, other more popular local sweets replaced this hiam-hiam tng (sweets) - and it faded from my memory.

- Behold, it was served as a mouth freshener at a cafe after a meal today! And the memories came flooding back. I couldn't believe I've met the long-lost lady again - after, ahem, many many many years! And she hasn't aged one bit! Even when pressed, she refused to say what's her youth secret.

- So I hopped in Jumbo and it was on sale in the sweets and chocs section. The rolled tubular form was probably sold out - but I bought this pack pictured here. Now I know it wasn't menthol, but peppermint.

- The Dutch lady, Wilhelmina, and I celebrated a reunion today.

- Memories like these leave a sweet taste on your lips, but choke your eyes with a hiam-hiam moisture. Nevertheless, it was a joyous get-together.
- Imagine the immensity of this sensation multiplied zillions of times zillions - when I reunite with my parents and brother Paul and dear friends in heaven one day in the Presence of JESUS!

No comments: