Saturday, July 12, 2008

Today


One of Paul, my youngest brother's favourite songs many years ago was 'Today', popularized by John Denver, words and music by Randy Sparks. I had kept Paul's handwritten lyrics of this song. The year could be between the late 70s to early 80s. There's even a drawing of a bee, possibly sipping a dew of sweet wine. The lyrics reflected Paul's free-spiritedness in living the max for the moment. He's not the type who will waste his time fretting about tomorrow or feeling bad about yesterday. The song contains 4 mentions of "Today and Now", 2 for "tomorrow", and only 1 for "yesterday".

God promised me that He is my Ever-Present Help in times of need. He is all for today. Once I heard a sermon that exhorted me not to be trapped by "if-only" and "what-if". "If-only" refers to the regrets, the condemnation, the shame and guilt of things that I had done, or not done, yesterday. "What-if" is the worry, the anxiety, the desperation and the oppression of bad things that may happen tomorrow.

My God promised me that He is my God of Grace (in fact, exceedingly abundant Grace) for all my Todays. Christ had shed His Blood, died for me to forgive me all sins and to give me His gift of righteousness. His Body was broken for me to heal me of all my diseases and to to impart His resurrection life in me. He was hung on the cross to redeem me from all curses, and imput His blessings in me. Hence "if-only" and "what-if" cannot entrap me anymore. What do I have to do? I simply rest, believe and receive - hallelujah!
God's Word also said that where sin tries to increase in my life, His exceedingly abundant grace abounds over the sin. There are times when "if-only condemnation" and "what-if worry" (these are derivatives of sin) try to increase in my life. I simply hold unswervingly to Jesus' finished work at the cross for me - and let His grace abounds over the "if-only" and the "what-if"!
The lyrics for 'Today' is:
"Today, while the blossoms still cling to the vine
I'll taste your strawberries, I'll drink your sweet wine
A million tomorrows shall all pass away
'Ere I forget all the joy that is mine today.
I'll be a dandy and I'll be a rover
You know who I am by the songs that I sing
I'll feast at your table, I'll sleep in your clover
Who cares what tomorrow may bring
I can't be contented with yesterday's glory
I can't live on promises winter to spring
Today is my moment and now is my story
I'll laugh, and I'll cry, and I will sing."
I can still hear Paul singing Today today.

No comments: