Friday, July 3, 2009

emmasen 313


3Jul09
This mother duck had given birth to a large brood of ducklings. You may not agree, but believe you me that many of them were practising diving under water, so what you see here is probably half its number. I don't see the daddy duck, so I think the ducks are like cheetahs (and others I'm sure) in which after mating, the males conveniently delegate the bringing up of their young to the mothers. When I throw bread into the lake, the geese will even attack these little ducklings with their strong beaks. The little ones will give out a shrill cry then struggle off and dive into the water and resurface a distance away. Survival strategy: flee from danger. If the geese attack the ducklings too often, mommy duck will give an angry squawk and nip the geese - although it does so at great risk to itself too, for the geese will retaliate in quick fashion too.
Ahh ... it's a tough life for our feathered friends.

No comments: