Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Promise is a Promise




An old bookmark caught my eye when I was searching for something else. It brought on tons of memory. Where should I begin? I begin with 1986 when I received Jesus as my Saviour. From then, my earnest prayers were for my parents to also come to a saving faith of Him. They had been staunch taoists. I clung onto what God promised in Acts16:31 "Believe in The Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household".

You can click on bookmarks to enlarge pix.

In 1990, a dear church sister gave me this bookmark "What God hath promised". The initial comfort I drew from its message was that God will always grant me "strength for the day, rest for the laborer, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy, undying love".

When I was studying in Melbourne during 1996 - I was inspired by The Holy Spirit to pen this: "God hath not promised that my parents always be with me; But God hath promised that they be with me always!" I was moved, well, very moved - and my tears stained my words.

Mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 2002. Heavy hearted, I had to draw deeper from God. One of the ways was to personalize His assurances: In Christ - God hath promised VC, strength for VC's day, rest for the laborer VC, light for VC's way, grace for VC's trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy, undying love.

On 16Jul02, Deacon Ng and Sis Christina from New Creation Church - responding from the invitation of my dear brother Paul - lead mother to a glorious saving faith in Jesus. I was present by her bedside and witnessed it - hallelujah! On 3Aug02, my papa also received Christ as his Saviour! Mother and papa returned to glory in Sep and Dec 02 respectively.

In Jan03, as I was writing my testimony "Nothing but the Grace of God" for my church newsletter, I chanced upon the bookmark again. This time, I was more than well moved. And this time, joyful tears celebrate His promise manifested.

Yes, mother & papa cannot always be with me.

But in Christ Jesus, they will be with me always - forever unto everlasting. Thank you Father God! Your promise was indeed a promise.

No comments: